Thursday, February 9, 2017

The torments off A.D.D. or how I purchased another project(or two)

I now interrupt the abnormally scheduled revisiting of my languishing project Malibu to introduce the latest acquisitions, two Jeep Cherokee's. Bought as a package deal from a friend's sister with the idea of selling one then keeping one for a hunting lease vehicle, I begin yet another journey into learning everything I can about another vehicle brand, style, and have purchased the first 4x4 vehicle in my entire existence.

The ugly as seen on site before purchase




Very few pics of the "Wagoneer" as it was already slated to be sold in my mind.

Oh no, this sweetheart captured my eye as the best idea for a project.



That was the "good" side





Yep, this would be my blank canvas to start with......anyone could start with a clean car, real men take the challenge. Surprisingly it was clean inside.




The deal was struck and they both made their way to my house, one to sell, the other to fix, and by fix I mean awaken from a 5 year slumber. A quick clean up and degreasing then....




Yet the one quarter was too far gone to save so both were treated to a cut and fold







As seen in the last picture the tank was dropped after replacing the old battery, then the starter, then to find out the fuel pump had also given up the ghost. Thankfully Autozone had all the replacement parts in stock, yet the last piece of the puzzle was two injectors that had also died while sitting. Then it fired right up and purred almost like a kitten. 

Well hell, it runs, let's start to modify. Order up a modest 2" lift that can use stock shocks plus a new track bar bushing that will get rid of the clunk from the worn out one currently in use. 

Then we get this 



Which looks level but is 2" lower in the front because the rear ended up with 3.5" of lift with a full length add a lift leaf. Insert smiley banging head. Well, let's move past that and look at the fender and door that look like Walmart was giving away free 55g drums of Bondo.







Trust me when I say the amount of Bondo applied far exceeded any that would be needed for any sane car let alone this dented up mess. Some of the Bondo had water behind it, all of it was applied over the original gloss paint, and I'm pretty sure there might have been wall spackle used.  After removal, sanding, and a quick dusting with flat black I was left with this.

 

Sooooo much better, not sure what they though they were doing, the front fender was almost an inch thinner and certainly weighed less. Another unfortunate happenstance was the tires were shot while being wholly inadequate for muddy terrain so off to Craigslist to pick up a set of these.



Set of 5 with four tires, 30x10.5x15 BFG All terrain's



Almost looks good.





No comments:

Post a Comment