Sunday, May 1, 2016

Best laid plans...

I had ordered up rebuild kits, new rotors, and pads, they all arrived Friday as planned!

So first thing I head out to the garage Saturday to get it all put together. No surprises as it all fell back together as everything was new and clean and bleed out easy. I make sure the master cylinder isn't over filled as to add to increased pressure when hot, and I hit the road.

Excellent brakes the first couple stops with the new sintered pads from Galfer to match the rotors and then, hard lever and brakes bearing down on their own. Luckily I hadn't hot the highway and hauled it onto a side street to bleed off the pressure and turn back for the house.

Going through a checklist everything is new other than the freshly rebuilt calipers and freshly rebuilt master cylinder. But if it is building pressure than that means the master cylinder has to be holding pressure somehow, someway. Remembering when I rebuilt it and installed it I had printed out the exploded diagram from Harley and looked at the pushrod and installed it the way it seemed to go and I had hesitation. Apparently if you blow up the picture big enough you can just tell the big end goes out, not inward because this is enough pressure to hold pressure on the brakes and ruin you day. Ugh.



Quick flip around of that and the brakes were fine except for being spongy, I didn't take the time to bleed them but have that slated for today.

After that triumph I installed the new 2016 Street Glide badges too, then gave it a quick wipedown.



It is almost ready for the trip to Nashville this coming Sunday, just need to bleed front brakes again, road test again, then mount up the windshield/sissy bar/driving lights, otherwise known as the tour package.


No comments:

Post a Comment