Saturday, May 7, 2016

An easy day for a change

Up and at em! Pulled the bags this morning to double check the rear axle torque and while I was there decided to change the oil in the rear shocks. Quite a few people say buy new but then again quite a few have had good luck changing the oil to a heavier weight or just fresh oil. Grabbed my new favorite toy, the Mityvac, and pulled the first shock. After mounting it upside down in the vise I connected the reservoir for bleeding brakes to the shock with an 1/8"npt X 1/4" barb and pulled vacuum.
That oil was gross and smelled bad, like pond water.

Next up was load up a graduated cylinder with the right amount of shock oil, in my case a 75/25 split of Belray 7w/10w, only because I am trying to use up the 7w I bought when I changed the fork oil. I remounted the shock in the vice right side up, clamped of the line to the shock while under vacuum, stuck the end of the hose in the graduated cylinder, and voila! It sucked all the oil back into the shock, no muss, no fuss.

Can't wait to try them out on the ride tomorrow.

I did also decide on a windshield, I stuck with old trusty, the Long Ride Shields recurve I used last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment